Promotion of websites on the internet is getting harder and harder today. On the market are a lot of marketing agencies that offer websites and other services for website owners, for example: SEO. The problem is, do they offer something interesting? Something that will make us stand out, something which ensures an individual approach. What should we put in order to make our website worth remembering, arouse the jealousy of our competition and the admiration of our clients?
Often, websites that have been active on the web for many years have many nooks and crannies covered with dust and a lot of duplicated functions or content and overwritten lines of HTML code. In order to locate all these sensitive points, you should study the contents of the source code and the documents contained in the cooperating files. Where to start? From the website audit. Check the technical condition of your website, something similar as NCT for your car.
- The age and history of the website address are very important – discover any bad moments in the life of the website address. All activities can be done using the free tools available on the internet.
- Place on the server – we do not know exactly what influence the server owner and other websites placed on the same place have on site’s position. It is safer to use the recommended places. We do not want our site to be placed next to morally unsuccessful websites with a very low rating.
- Security, SSL certificate – a certificate securing the transmission of data from the website, if you see a green padlock at the address, it means that it has an SSL certificate. Currently, it is gaining importance for Google. If the pages do not have a certificate, the user will be warned that it is not secure.
- Alt attributes (alternative image title) – if it is not possible to load a normal description, robots use an alternative title to read it. Alternative text is read by programs for people with vision problems, in addition, robots read images not in terms of image content but just based on this attribute.
- Use ‘Site’ parameter to check the set of indexed site resources. Search results without a record list may indicate a filter or penalties applied to the domain. Any shortcomings in the list show unindexed pages.
- Website address with www, or without a prefix – it can be present in the domain address or not, but would be best to decide at the beginning. If we use both versions – indexing robots/spiders may qualify this as duplicate content.
- The Mobile First Index is a document published by Google describing new guidelines for assessing existing and new websites on the internet. The basis for categorizing is now having a mobile version for each website. Until now, the desktop version was taken into consideration. When the new algorithm was introduced, everything changed.
- The title of the website – an element often underestimated by less qualified SEO specialists. It is located in the website’s HEAD section of the title tag. The browser displays it in the search results in the first line of the record and in the header of the open tab. Good positioning practices require that the value of the title tag is different for each subpage. It can contain a keyword, and for the purpose of positioning a local business – the correct topographic name.
- Description – is also located in the HEAD section of the web site’s source code. Internet marketing uses a description to make the first contact with the user. Browsers display it in the third line of the record in the list of search results. With it, you can tactfully encourage users to visit your website. It is worth working on the volume of approximately three hundred characters to provide valuable information that will confirm the content of the website.
- Friendly URL addresses – these are addresses related logically to the contents of the document to which they lead. The right structure of URLs can bring many benefits to our website and make it easier to index by search engine crawlers.
- Internal linking – links inside your website help users and robots navigate your website easily and intuitively. Links between pages should be thematically linked.
- Headings layout – the organization of content with headings gives the impression of order and makes finding information easier. Browser robots also use this hierarchy for efficient indexing of page content. The headings have the designations H1 to H6. There is no need to use them all!
- Text to code ratio – main point is that search engines identify topics and classify pages based on the text placed on it. It is not known if there is any specific minimum, after which the search engine will “understand” what the page is about. In addition, they are based on the content contained on the site – “like them”. Therefore, it is easier to promote a page with, for example, 500 words rather than one that contains 2-3 short sentences.
- Optimizing HTML code and design – SEO is a set of activities that adapt both elements of the website. The HTML code, especially on older websites contains many places requiring a lot of work. The presentation view, dependent on cooperating files, i.e. styles stored in CSS and dynamic scripts, often also needs to be adjusted.
A well-optimized website will allow you to better prepare your website, to effectively position it in the search results. When creating a new website or re-design old one – take care of it! Let its designers/developers/SEO specialist do an SEO audit and optimize the website.